BART’s Silicon Valley Berryessa Extension (SVBX) Project: Phase I – Positive Train Control Testing
Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)
Subcontractor to AECOM
As a sub-contractor to AECOM, Auriga represented Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) and provided Train Control System testing support for Phase I of BART’s Silicon Valley Berryessa Extension (SVBX) Program. VTA’s BART Silicon Valley involves a program of transportation improvements in the corridor that generally extends from the southern boundary of Alameda County in the City of Fremont through the cities of Milpitas, San Jose, and Santa Clara in Santa Clara County. These improvements include a planned 16-mile, six-station extension of the existing San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) system into Silicon Valley. Phase I (Berryessa Extension) is the first 10 miles which includes two stations – Milpitas and Berryessa.
Auriga was involved in oversight and witnessing of Phase I of the SVBX Project. During this phase of the project, Auriga participated in rail (wayside) safety training. Auriga’s scope of work for the project included:
- Attend daily safety briefings at the PTC office.
- Review of BART’s existing train control system (ATCS) documentation.
- Review of Alstom’s Test Procedures for static, dynamic and Field Modification Investigation (FMI) testing.
- Witnessing of all Vital and Non-Vital Train Control tests performed at Train Control rooms between Warm Springs and Berryessa stations.
- Witnessing of all troubleshooting activities performed by Alstom.
- Data collection and analysis (i.e. ATO door cycle and birthing of incoming and outgoing trains at Warm Springs).
- Preparation of detailed daily reports documenting test results and discrepancies.