Microwave System Upgrade Implementation Plan and Final Network Diagram
San Mateo County Transit Authority (TA)
2019 - to present
Subcontractor to Parsons Brinckerhoff. INC
Caltrain currently utilizes a microwave voice radio channel (called the MOW channel) configured as full duplex, and, repeated along the entire ROW, as well as on most of the Peninsula and surrounding areas to serve the requirements of operations and maintenance. The MOW voice radio communication backhaul uses an Agency-owned Microwave Radio network between the CCF and the following MOW Radio Base Station sites: San Carlos HQ, Monument Peak and San Bruno Mountain.
Auriga, as a subconsultant under Parsons Brinckerhoff, Inc is providing Electrical Design service to upgrade the existing Caltrain Microwave System to support the IP based ATCS. Auriga is providing following services below listed tasks:
Scope of Services:
- Conduct site surveys and investigations to determine the existing configuration of Caltrain Microwave System and equipment installed at four (4) microwave sites (i.e. CCFC-Control Center, Monument Peak, San Carlos HQ and San Bruno Mountain)
- Develop a strategy for upgrading the existing microwave system for a conversion to a fully IP based Ethernet network for the ATCS. Auriga will provide information concerning how to accomplish the upgrade, which of the existing hardware can be used and which items need to be replaced.
- Evaluate and determine whether the existing PABX Channel can be configured and utilized for the IP based Ethernet Network.
- Evaluate and determine whether the existing Harris TR 5000 Switch can be configured and utilized for the IP Based Ethernet Network.
- Evaluate and determine whether the existing RugedCom Switch at the Caltrain Headquarters in San Carlos can be configured and utilized for the IP Based Ethernet Network.
- Reconfigure the Harris TR 5000 Switch for the IP Based Ethernet Network at CCFC, Monument Peak and San Carlos HQ for the IP Based Ethernet Network.
- Reconfigure the existing RuggedCom Switch for the IP Based Ethernet Network.
- Auriga’s Network Engineer will work with Wabtec Engineer to install the Wabtec CN 2000 Switch at the existing Microwave sites (CCFC, Monument Peak and San Carlos HQ)
- Auriga’s Network Engineer to work with Wabtec Engineer to test the IP Based Ethernet Network between CCFC – Monument Peak – San Carlos HQ – BCC @ Menlo Park)
- Provide, a “turn-key” upgrade solution to implement IP based Ethernet communication links for the Advanced Train Control System (ATCS).