Cast Coil Transformer Replacement Project at 12 Traction Power Substations
Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)
2018- to Date
Subcontractor to HNTB
As a sub-contractor to HNTB, Auriga is providing to BART design and engineering services to replace existing 24 MVA dry type transformers with natural ester oil type transformers at BART’s 12 traction power substations.
The scope of work and tasks includes as follows:
Project Design Tasks
- Collect and review reference drawings.
- Conduct site surveys and field investigation to determine actual system conditions. Prepare design specifications and drawings for replacement of the existing 34.5kV/781V Transformer, Control and Protection system, terminations interface and related wayside equipment.
- Prepare design specifications and drawings for the differential protection system, terminations and interface.
- Conduct project review meetings and coordinate with appropriate BART departments and other project stakeholders.
Contract Document Development
- Produce Conceptual Engineering Report (CERs).
- Develop complete design package, Contract specification to replace approximately 24 existing Cast Coil Traction Power Transformers and remaining Dry type Transformers in accordance with BART Facility Standard (BFS), IEEE and ANSI standards.
- Develop electrical single line drawing, communications block diagram for control and protection system and site equipment layouts for existing and new transformer.
- Determine wire interconnections designs and equipment layouts needed for interfacing with existing system.
- Develop the design for new fiber optic installation between transformer Remote I/O Module and associate traction power substation Remote I/O Module including the route and cost estimate.
- Develop control and protection software for real time automation controller, if needed.
- Prepare contract design submittals for Contract Drawings and Contract Specifications.
- Meet with BART stakeholders to address review comments on design submittals.
- Prepare construction cost estimates and construction schedule.
- Assemble contract bid document.